July 20, 2020
June 2020 marked a decade of participation in the Wisconsin Green Tier program for Cortec® Coated Products (CCP) in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and Cortec® Spray Technologies (CST) in Spooner, Wisconsin. This voluntary program, which is run by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, recognizes environmental performance above and beyond minimal Wisconsin state regulatory requirements. It requires participants to meet 12 Green Tier requirements, including the maintenance of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that is functionally equivalent to ISO 14001.
As part of its yearly requirements, CCP and CST submitted annual reports for 2019 this past March. These reports help us track our improvements and keep an eye on environmentally significant aspects, two activities in line with Cortec’s strong commitment to promoting a “green” business culture. This culture is exemplified by our use of environmentally responsible raw materials that exempts or reduces our need for regulatory reporting in the areas of hazardous waste, air permitting, and chemical inventory. Some of the key improvements at our two Green Tier plants in 2019 were as follows.
Key Improvements at CCP:
• Reduced onsite water use
• Reduced electricity use by switching to high efficiency LED lamps and fixtures and installing programmable thermostats and occupancy sensors
• Reduced use of natural gas by improving processes to obsolete a boiler
• Reduced paper scrap despite many additional R&D test runs
Key Improvements at CST:
• Increased sales of EcoAir® cans powered by compressed air instead of traditional chemical propellants
• Reduced electricity use by replacing more than 300 lamps with new LED lighting
Both plants continue to push ahead toward goals for further improvements in these areas by the end of 2020. We have already come a long way in the last decade, with exciting developments in 2019 alone, and we are looking forward to lowering our environmental impact even more in the near future!
Learn more about our participation in the Wisconsin Green Tier program here: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/GreenTier/Participants/.
For a PDF version please click here.