October 12, 2021
FOG means more than a low hanging mist or a state of mental confusion. In wastewater treatment, it stands for fats, oils, and greases. These waste materials tend to build up excessively in certain types of industrial wastewater, particularly effluent/influent from food-related industries. High levels of FOG
produce bad odors, may cause wastewater plant upsets, and can make it difficult for industries to meet wastewater discharge standards, often resulting in surcharges. Bionetix® International makes it possible to bring FOG levels under control with BCP22™, a biological treatment for high grease applications.
Benefits of BCP22™
BCP22™ is a blend of facultative anaerobic bacteria targeted specifically to digest FOG. BCP22™ accelerates the biological degradation of high FOG wastewaters, making it ideal for food industry applications. This helps lower sludge production, reduces unpleasant odors, and improves treatment plant performance. As BCP22™ loosens and
liquefies grease deposits, it makes it easier to clean away heavy buildup of fat in holding tanks, sewers, drains, and aeration basins. Since high FOG
represents a higher biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) and a higher level of total suspended solids (TSS) in wastewater, BCP22™ can also be used to
help reduce these levels in order for facilities to meet acceptable discharge limits and avoid unwanted fines. These benefits translate into a wide
range of possible applications:
• Meat processing facilities
• Dairy industry
• Municipal wastewater treatment plants
When to Apply BCP22™
There are four main times to add BCP22™ to a waste system.
1) FOG Overload: The most obvious time to use BCP22™ is when a FOG overload occurs. This can be the case in a grease trap that is beginning to overflow or cause odor problems. It can also take the form of shock loading at a wastewater treatment plant when a sudden increase in high FOG influent is too much for the system to handle.
2) Startup of a New Wastewater System: It takes time to establish a healthy colony of naturally occurring microorganisms that are able to digest wastewater contaminants. Adding bioaugmentation products can significantly reduce the time needed to create biomass. In some cases, it is a cost-effective and more efficient alternative to the conventional approach of importing sludge from other wastewater treatment plants.
3) Treatment After Shock: BCP22™ rapidly restores biomass activity after shock to ensure a healthy system. This is most commonly needed after process interruption, planned shutdowns, pH excursions, and sudden loading of toxic compounds.
4) Maintenance: BCP22™ can also be used as a recurring maintenance dose in grease traps or wastewater treatment applications where a high load of FOG is expected and/or has caused past problems.
In all three cases, BCP22™ helps the system function effectively and efficiently by adding a boost of FOG-digesting microorganisms that can speed up the biodegradation process. For further assistance taking advantage of bioaugmentation with BCP22™, contact Bionetix® today:
Learn more about BCP22™ here: https://www.bionetix-international.com/products/bcp22/
Keywords: bioaugmentation, FOG, BOD, TSS, wastewater treatment, shock loading, grease trap cleaning, grease trap maintenance, grease trap overflow, dairy waste management, Bionetix, industrial wastewater, bakery waste management, meat processing, food industry, restaurant maintenance, plant upsets, fats oils and grease
Need a High-Resolution Photo? Please Visit: www.cortecadvertising.com
For a PDF version please click here.