August 25, 2019
Summer is flying by quickly, which means it is high time to get your concrete repair projects finished before cold weather sets in. Utilizing Cortec’s MCI® HPRS®, High Performance Repair System will help you achieve the most durable concrete repair possible. This system takes proper concrete repair from good to great by incorporating Migrating Corrosion Inhibitors into the repair materials to mitigate future corrosion and help the repair last longer. Use of the full system together with proper repair methods will ensure you get the longest service life possible from your repair.
• Properly prepare the repair area by removing any unsound concrete and cleaning rust from exposed reinforcing steel either mechanically or chemically with a product such as VpCI®-426. Alternatively, CorrVerter® MCI® Rust Primer could be used to prime exposed, rusted metal.
• MCI®-2023 passivating grout can be applied to the repair area and exposed metal surfaces prior to application of an MCI® containing repair mortar.
• Choose the appropriate MCI® containing repair mortar for your application—full depth (MCI®-2039 or MCI®-2311), trowel grade (MCI®-2702), or vertical/overhead (MCI®-2701)—and apply as directed.
• Alternatively to using a preblended Cortec® repair mortar, MCI® Mini Grenades can be added to the concrete repair mortar or grout of choice to provide Migrating Corrosion Inhibitor™ protection.
• Areas adjacent to the repair should be treated with MCI®-2020 and/or MCI®-2020 V/O surface treatment to add corrosion protection to compromised areas not yet needing concrete repair.
• MCI® EcoRainbow® Architectural Coating can be used as a final architectural finish to repair areas. It can be color matched to help your project blend in, and it serves as an excellent protective layer against carbonation, UV light, industrial pollutants, and marine environments.
Take a look at our HPRS® High Performance Repair Systems instructions for yourself as you get ready to complete your next repair and make it last!
For a PDF version please click here.